Going Through The Motions
When It Feels Like You're Just Going Through The Motions
By Brittany White
Have you ever felt like you were just going through the motions? Waking up, going to work, coming home, going to bed, just to do the same thing again tomorrow? You felt like you didn’t have a purpose; like you were just living for someone else.
Well, I’ve been there. I still go through this. Feeling like I’m not good enough. Feeling like everyone else is doing great things except me. Feeling discouraged and purposeless. This is a defeated mindset. It took me a while to realize exactly what it was. I was living my life as a victim, allowing the circumstances I was facing to run me and have such a negative impact on how I was feeling. Now, life does happen and we do have “those days”; however, the issue is when we allow circumstances to dictate how we feel all the time.
I can admit I walked in a dry season and didn’t know exactly what I was supposed to be doing. I was comparing my life to others and so caught up in their lives to the point where I wasn’t minding my own business. I had no joy. I was literally waking up each morning, going to work, coming home, feeling sorry for myself, going to bed and waking up just to do it all over again. I got tired of going through the motions.
I’m so thankful for a husband who won’t sit back and allow me to keep feeling sorry for myself. He literally told me I needed to get over myself and realize how blessed I actually was. I’m not in need of anything. Every single one of my needs is met. I meditated on that truth. I surrounded myself around people who poured into me and stopped investing in friendships and anything else that drained me. I invested in myself.
If you feel like you’re just going through the motions, I want to offer you some encouragement:
1. Cultivate gratitude!!-Write a list of people and things you are thankful for. Remember, you are more fortunate than many people on this earth. As a Christian, I like to sit in solitude and talk to God, praising Him for how far He’s carried me. I also use this time to tell Him how I’m feeling, too. He cares.
2. Consider the big picture- Take some time to ask God and yourself what is you were meant to do in life. We are all created for a specific purpose. Although each of our purposes may be different, they all involve serving other people. When you take your eyes off yourself and focus on serving others, you will get fulfillment and a sense of gratitude.
3. Switch up your daily routine- Instead of going straight home from work, try working out, taking a walk, or taking a new route. We often get into a rut because we do the same thing over and over. Switch it up! This is your life. You are in control of what you do with your time.
4. Find a new hobby- For me, I’m really trying to life exercising (lol). I’m not at the point where it’s a favorite, but I love the way it makes me feel. Consider community service or even doing something you’re interested in more often. Life is meant to be enjoyed.
5. Invest in community- This is critical. We were not meant to live life alone. Pour into others. Also, be intentional and actually allow yourself to be poured into. You would be surprised what you can gain from others.
I want you to remember that you have more control over your life than you think. You don’t have to just sit idly and allow the circumstances of life to keep you down. Take ownership! Invest in yourself!
What about you? Do you have anything else you do when you feel like you’re going through the motions?
Brittany White wears many hats including wife, educator, mentor, and friend. She has made it her life's mission to impact the lives of others through education and service. Her passion and commitment to education earned her the privilege of being named 2017-2018 Teacher of the Year at her school. Follow her on Twitter @DrBrittBritt1 or on Instagram @MrsWhite_Educates.